Social Media / Outreach Intern
ABOUT US:Acta Non Verba: Youth Urban Farm Project (ANV) elevates life in the inner city by challenging oppressive dynamics and environments through urban farming.
OUR MISSION: ANV’s quarter acre farm located in the City of Oakland’s Tassafaronga Park (83rd Ave & E Street, 94621) is planned, planted, harvested and sold by youth grades K-8 and 100% of the proceeds are placed into individual savings accounts for those who have participated.
ANV is seeking a responsible individual to provide general communications and marketing support to the Executive Director and our Board of Directors and Advisory Boards, including direct mailing, generating marketing content, including writing and researching for the e-newsletter and blog, scheduling and representing ANV at relevant events; maintaining ANV’s social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, ect. Additionally, there may be some duties related to event planning, fundraising and development.
Specific duties include:
• Create and implement program-specific marketing campaigns to increase awareness of our organization and participation in upcoming events
• Update and develop contact lists for outreach, including local events, to promote our programs and events
• Research and maintain a calendar of local outreach events; attend and represent ANV at these events
• Assist with editing marketing and programmatic materials, including press releases, tour announcements, fliers, brochures, etc.
• Populate ANV social media with content (i.e. articles, photos, links, videos, and blogs) related to our work
• Assist with organizing and running ANV events, including outreach and marketing for events, set up, tabling, taking photos, etc.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Identify new opportunities for marketing and outreach
• Staying current with social media trends and opportunities and be a key marketing resource for the Food Sovereignty Tours team and help the Program Coordinator develop marketing strategies for expanding our social media membership/audience such as planning and executing specific marketing campaigns
• Follow political developments related to our work. Write profiles of key organizations, communities and individuals from our community
• Be an active and enthusiastic participant invested in improving the organization
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The ideal candidate for this position must have strong organizational and writtencommunication skills and must be an active participant in the social media sphere. Must be a creative thinker and self-motivator to help promote our organization in new ways. Experience in marketing and fundraising a plus, but not required. In addition, we are looking for someone that is excited and passionate about our work and can convey that to any audience.
• Superior communication skills
• Self motivated and self directed
• An active participant in the social media sphere
• Advanced knowledge of social media technologies, tools and capabilities.
• Experience in underserved communities a plus
• Excellent writing skills, research experience a plus
* PREFERRED: Background in marketing, public relations, journalism or business. Competent in Spanish a plus, but not required.
The Communications Intern will be required to commit to a minimum of 15-20 hours/week for minimum duration of four months.
The Intern will gain invaluable experience developing, contributing to and editing an international newsletter, as well as executing various online marketing campaigns, including developing viral marketing strategies. The Intern will also gain useful writing samples in a number of formats, e.g web copy, grant proposals, blog posts, etc. In addition, Acta Non Verba is a dynamic environment for networking with local organizations, NGOs, scholars and activists working in a broad range of fields related to social justice in food and agriculture.
Acta Non Verba Interns are expected to also help out with farming duties. This is an unpaid position.
Interested candidates please visit website at www.anvfarm.org and learn more about us! Then please submit your resume (or educational summary) and 1 paragraph cover letter further explaining your interest in this internship and why you’re the best fit for our organization. Additionally, please submit a writing sample.
Deadline to apply is Monday, April 7. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis, so please apply soon. Start date will be the second week of April 14, 2014. Please note: Applicant must be based locally and have their own transportation.
Please send full application to email@example.com with “ANV Social Media Outreach Intern” as the subject line.