Acta Non Verba: Youth Urban Farm Project is GROWING!
Acta Non Verba: Youth Urban Farm Project
Job Description: Member of the Board of Directors
Acta Non Verba: Youth Urban Farm Project (ANV) is a non-profit organization whose mission elevates the quality of life in Oakland by challenging oppressive dynamics and environments through urban farming. ANV’s quarter acre farm located in the City of Oakland’s Tassafaronga Park is planned, planted, harvested and sold by youth in grades K-8. One hundred percent of the proceeds are placed into individual savings accounts for those who participate.
Acta Non Verba (ANV) is an equal employment opportunity employer and strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. ANV does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, medical condition including genetic characteristics, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, (including transgender status), weight, height, linguistic characteristics (such as accent and limited English proficiency, when not substantially job-related), citizenship status, or any other basis prohibited by law. People of color strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information, please visit Acta Non Verba’s website at www.anvfarm.org
The Board supports the work of ANV and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by ANV’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he develops and implements ANV’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by ANV for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving ANV’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing ANV to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring ANV’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities ANV serves
ANV Board Members will consider ANV a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that ANV can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, ANV expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity. ANV has a “Give or Get” policy in regards to board members annual contribution.
ANV’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for reappointment for one additional term. Board and committee meetings meetings will be held monthly and will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about ANV’s mission and who has a track record of leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in community, business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. Their accomplishments will allow them to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant leadership accomplishments in community organizing, business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of ANV’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of ANV’s beneficiaries
Service on ANV’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, occasional travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.